Travis Perkins needed an interim Director to lead their IT Commercial team whilst they formally advertised for the role.
The existing team, whilst very capable, were struggling to influence key stakeholders due to lack of mandate and lack of compliance to governance, meaning rushed last minute contracting was the norm.
Peru was contracted to provide an Interim Commercial director to lead the Procurement and vendor management functions, including the contract review and associated actions to support separations.
Leadership and Governance Established
- Agreed and documented boundaries with rest of IT and Brand Commercial teams,
- Created new role definitions to give team a career path beyond current role
- Led HR through IR35 implications
- Re-establish Tier 1 governance meetings and reporting
- Establish new CFO led governance forum to review commercial activity and provide escalation route.
- Refined Governance process to ensure early engagement (and reported where this didn’t happen)
- Implemented Renewals calendar and process
- Establish weekly pulse with legal team
- Led team through lockdown, with an overnight switch to remote working and an increased focus on Cost Savings (including furlough and redundancy within team)
- Key participants in Commercial Separation projects for Wickes and Tile Giant
Key Commercial Controls Embedded
£3M of Cost savings agreed and reported during 9 month tenure, and multiple deferred payments agreed with Suppliers
Tier 1 Supplier far more closely managed both by team and by IT Owners
Travis Perkins well placed for current and future separation from a Contract and Commercial perspective (Wickes and Tile Giant)
Major Delivery Management contract signed
Network and Telephony Sourcing Strategy agreed and being executed
Commercial support to aggressive rollout of Digital, Contactless Payment and Debt Recovery tooling in early days of lockdown
Team Career and succession path signed off by new HR Director for team
CFO is an active advocate for team and is looking to extend model across other Commercial teams
Successful handover to new permanent Commercial Lead
"The Peru Consultant led our Commercial Team through an extremely challenging year, ensuring the team stayed motivated and delivery focussed. A number of improvements were implemented despite the lack of face to face working, including significant cost savings against third party contracts, alignment of commercial resources to key covid related and other business initiatives and an enhanced governance structure reporting into the CFO. The Commercial teams’ influence and visibility increased significantly though this engagement."
Matt Greaves, IT Director, Travis Perkins
Related case studies